Welcome Back to YMCA Buffalo Niagara
New York State officials recently announced that gyms/fitness centers (including YMCAs) are no longer permitted to open in phase four, which means our reopening date is postponed until further notice. As we await a decision on a new reopening date, we are confident that our phased reopening plan will enable us to welcome you back in a safe, responsible way. We will continue to monitor this situation and provide you with updates in a timely manner.
The Governor’s decision to prohibit YMCAs from reopening at the beginning of phase four was unexpected, given the progress that New York State has achieved. We encourage you to reach out to Governor Cuomo or one of our local officials below, and ask them to immediately release the guidelines for reopening gyms and to set a firm date to resume operations:
- Governor Cuomo: Email or (518) 474-8390
- Lt. Governor Kathy Hochul Email or (518) 402-2292
- Howard Zucker: Howard.Zucker@health.ny.gov or (518) 474-2011
- Rob Mujica: Robert.Mujica@budget.ny.gov or (518) 474-2300
Thank you for your continued patience and support of YMCA Buffalo Niagara.
When We Reopen:
- All members will have to wear a face covering when entering and exiting the facility, and in all common areas.
- Capacity will be controlled throughout the building.
- The facilities will be open to members only, no guests.
- Members will be asked to limit their visit to 90 minutes or less.
- Any member unwilling to comply with these changes will be asked to leave the facility immediately.
Stage One Reopening
The health and safety of our members and staff is our top priority, and that is why we have implemented a staged reopening plan of our locations for when we reopen. A detailed summary of our Stage One plans can be found here. We will continue to adhere to all CDC, state, and local guidelines as we move through each stage.
Stage One Areas Open with Restrictions:
- Cardio and strength areas
- Gym open for group exercise classes only, with limited class sizes and schedule. Group exercise classes will be on a first come, first serve basis.
- Locker rooms and showers with spacing requirements
- Indoor track
- Indoor pool
- Only no touch bottle filling available (water fountains closed)
- Summer Camp
- Outdoor Sports Courts (Summer Camp only)
Stage One Closed Areas:
- Lobby areas
- All group exercise rooms
- Racquetball courts
- Steam rooms, saunas, whirlpools
- Child watch / adventure room
- Rock wall and outdoor playgrounds
- Services not provided: coffee/tea, workout mats
We will review our guidelines regularly and communicate changes as necessary. We continue to provide virtual resources for our members who are still sheltering at home. Please continue to check this page regularly for the most up-to-date information. If you have any questions, please contact your YMCA branch.
All of us at YMCA Buffalo Niagara appreciate your patience and understanding during this time.